Monday, November 10, 2008

Happiness

If you haven't seen Mad Men on AMC, I highly recommend giving it a try. The show had been recommended to us by several trusted sources, so we decided to start with season 1 on DVD. Last night we popped in disc 1 and were so engrossed that we watched all 3 episodes on the disc in one sitting.
There is a moment in the first episode that really struck a chord with me though - it's when the main character is making an ad pitch to a tobacco company telling them how to overcome the latest stigma that cigarettes are deadly (the show is set in the early 60's). He says this to the tobacco execs:
"Advertising is about one thing: happiness."

That is a profound truth. And I am so susceptible to trying to buy my happiness based on slick advertising and pretty pictures. I pour over magazines and websites trying to find that perfect item, food, clothing, beauty remedy. Once I think I've found it I set all my hopes upon it, salivating for the moment when it will be mine and bring me that happiness I so desire. It NEVER does. But instead of allowing that fact to sink in, I search for something else to distract myself in pursuit of.

The character in Mad Men goes on to describe happiness as "the smell of a new car, freedom from fear, a Billboard on the side of the road that screams with the reassurance that whatever you're doing is ok. You are ok."

Am I alone in feeling like I've been duped by the advertising machine of our consumer culture? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

Greta said...

No you are not alone :).
What you explained is precisely why advertisers pay enormous amounts of money for 30 seconds of air time. We like pretty things. We like new things.

And it really only feels good when we realize that they, pretty or new, are just things.